9 Ways to Realize Your Dreams Even in Retirement


Moon River - Andy Williams

Moon River was the first piece of music that really made me think about my dreams and what I wanted in my life.  That was back in 1967, 45 years ago. 

Sometimes we have so many dreams that we want to pursue, even when we are Baby Boomers in our 60s.  Over the last few years I’ve used the following techniques to build my dream list. I learned it years ago when I was working with youth at risk but it works well even at this stage in my life.

1. Write your dreams down.
It’s very important to write your dreams down no matter how long the list is. You then have the opportunity to look at it and read it on a regular basis. Post it on your calendar or mirror. Make sure it is something you see first thing every morning.

2. Determine which item on your list is most important for you to do first.
After making your list, determine the priorities. Write #1 next to the most important and #2 for the next most important, etc. Once you prioritize, your dreams actually start becoming goals.

3. Ignore other people’s advice.
Remember, this is your dream list, not someone else’s! Try not to share the information because you may get feedback you don’t want to hear!

4. Cut your dream list to no more than 10.
This is one of the hardest steps to take. You have your dreams, but what if your list is 3 pages long? Gradually go through them and draw a line through the ones that are least important AT THIS TIME or ones that aren’t realistic. Also remove any that involve others directly. An example of this is "I plan to marry Henry by 2013" unless your real goal is to ask Henry to marry you!

5. Short-list your Dream List to no more than 5 items.
I know it may sound ridiculous but this is a heart-wrenching move! Suddenly you are crossing off 5 of your top dreams! It is difficult at first but as you go through the process, you realize what is most important to you to accomplish now.

6. Re-prioritize your Dream List.
You may find by now that you have taken a number of important dreams off your list that you thought were right up at the top. Re-number them again.

7. Determine your top dream.
This takes some real soul searching. I use the question, "If I knew I was going to die in 6 months, what would I want to do first?"

8. Start researching all the steps you have to take.
There are necessary steps to take to realize your top dream and actually turn it into a GOAL.  If your top dream, for instance, is to visit Bali before you die, then you will want to find out all you can about the country, how you will get there, how much your budget needs to be, etc.

9. Give yourself permission!
Give yourself permission to enjoy the rest of your life and do what you want to do!




No comments:

Post a Comment