"Laughter May Be the Best Medicine"



"Laughter May Be the Best Medicine" didn't work personally for Robin Williams this week - may he rest in peace, but I'm sure he helped many others get healthy again over the years. Even though the man had his own demons that he finally couldn't fight anymore, his comedic presentations over the years sparked joy in others.  
Laughter is such a good tool for healing.   I received an email yesterday from a longtime friend.  We go back almost 50 years and even though we don't talk often, I immediately got in touch with her.  I wouldn't normally share personal correspondence but I felt this time it was important.  I'm not using her name, of course.

People make choices how they deal with what is happening to them.  They can be positive or they can be negative.  Even the most positive person though can struggle with depression because of things happening in their life that may be beyond their control. 

This is the email my friend sent on August 11, 2014.  Everything that she talks about happened to her over the last few months.  


"I've had many stressful events lately... sounds like a soap opera... both vehicles stolen.. condo which roofers decided  to create a fire on.. we've been out of our home for a month...we'll be back home in another month or so... 

Happy beautiful, amazing wedding ceremonies for our son and his new wife.... one here in Vancouver and another in Japan.. an amazing trip to Japan.. with the traditional Shinto wedding

Then my husband was rear ended and has suffered some whip-lash... and now I have had a major operation.. yucky bowel thing, ending up with a colostomy bag on my belly, which they tell me is reversible. It is cancer but a good prognosis.


Shit, (literally) happens, and how great are my kids at looking after me.... I feel so loved!

Through all this yuck.. my husband and I have had maybe 2 minor blow ups..... moving many times while they repair the water damage from the fire... our "stuff" was all OK, but the ceilings and walls had damage. Pretty stressful, and amazing how we have dealt with all this. The insurance company has us in  a rental suite.


I've been home from the hospital for 4 days.... this is my first email..



Time for tea!"


Thank you, my friend, for sharing what is happening to you now.  The fact that you were just diagnosed with cancer and now have a colostomy bag a couple of weeks later is harsh.  

But you seem to have turned what is happening to you into a very positive way of thinking. For instance, there were tears in my eyes from concern for you but also from laughter as you shared your thoughts about the role your bum can no longer play right now. 

One thing you talked about, for instance,  is unplanned farting - it is such a frustrating thing as we age..... a total embarrassment in fact but you don't have to deal with it right now.  You have turned passing gas into a fun scientific study as you heal.  The visualization of bubbling farts (with no sneaky odor) is still making me laugh.

You have always had a wonderful sense of humour and have often looked at the funny side of what is happening in your life at the time.  There were times you helped me through low points, not only with your humour, but just for being there. I also know that there are other things happening in your life besides what you have listed and you appear to be dealing with it pretty well. 

The fact that you can still laugh, and at yourself, is so heart-warming. I feel so blessed to have someone like you .....and a handful of other special, positive friends in my life........ whom I know are here for me, when things get tough at times.  

Even with all the stress you are dealing with, your positive attitude will hopefully help you heal quickly. Remember though, if you need me, I'm here for you. I'm here if things get to be too much.  I'm here if you just need someone to listen.  You aren't alone.

  


No comments:

Post a Comment