RECYCLING OUR MEMORIES



The times - they are a changing. ( OK - I borrowed that line! ) But I'm getting old. And when I was young I remember my parents Helen and Mickey trying to raise 5 kids. Could I do that myself now - hell no! But they did it!!! And I'm quite sure I didn't appreciate how they did it at the time, but I'm older now and have a better acceptance for the daunting task they were faced with and how they managed to pull it off.

They grew up in a time when you didn't throw anything out. I can remember Dad adding water to the "empty" Ketchup bottle to get the last drops. ( He was the only one that would use it though  ) As children of my parents we were granted a different economic time eventually - one of convenience perhaps privileged and certainly one that was "disposable".

We grew up in a time when it was cheaper to buy another of something than it was to fix the original. The concept seemed good - at the time. But now - the times have changed again. The concept hasn't - it's still cheaper to buy another of something, but we recycle now. We can turn plastic bottles into petroleum. 

I've grown fond of this "new" idea of not throwing things out. My appreciation most certainly goes out to those who have kept what was important to them.  I like passing it down from one generation to the next in the hopes that it survived the possibility of getting tossed out, not because it was cheaper to buy another one - but because of the history behind it.

I like and enjoy collecting antique furniture. I like to think about the different people that have previously owned it, that it was a "fly on the wall" and has its own stories to tell. And one day - it will be able to tell a chapter of my life as well. Perhaps it will catch me pouring just the tiniest amount of water into an "empty" ketchup bottle and it will remember me writing this about my father? I'm getting older and yes the times are changing.

The radio in the picture is a new "guest" to my home, and the needlepoint was done by my Great Grandmother Margaret McRae who died July 10, 1886. Perhaps in another 100 years they will whisper stories to someone else.


Thank you to Earl MacDonald, a guest blogger, for writing this article. 

No comments:

Post a Comment