Change the World in Retirement



The 60s were a time of major change.  People were speaking out against injustice and trying to make a difference.  Then somewhere along the way we became complacent.  Life was too easy and fruitful.

The world has re-cycled  in the last few years.  People are beginning to stand up once again for what they believe in.  They are fighting social injustices.  They are listening to the words in the songs, not just the music, like the words to Johnny Reid's song, "Today I'm Gonna Try to Change the World."

As I get closer to retirement I realize one of the things I can do is help the younger generation think about making a difference and helping change the world a little bit at a time.  Our universe is connected now through electronic media.  Anything the world powers do is instantly reported.  Local communities can be affected by the same instant media.  There are so many ways to make a difference.

I have been involved all my life in one way or another with people with disabilities, whether it was as a support worker or a volunteer or a friend.  Over the last few years I’ve been mainly working with adults with developmental disabilities.  It's easy to explain the joy and the satisfaction I get from this type of work.  In fact, it really isn’t work. 

I’m only in the door 30 minutes and can be guaranteed a few morning smiles or even hugs from the people who have learned to trust me.  We have a great time not only in our site programs but also on the days we are out doing community inclusive activities.

Some of the people I support have very limited verbal skills but I learned years ago that 85% of communication is non-verbal.  No-one has any problem expressing what they want if I’m prepared to listen.

I grew up at a time when Woodlands and Essendale and Tranquille were places to hide people away who weren’t considered “normal.”  A number of the people I support now came out of those institutions.  I remember hundreds of May Day parade watchers from the Woodlands and Essendale lined up in New Westminster every year, often dressed inappropriately for the occasion.  It was one of the few times they were allowed out into the community.  The other time was when the Circus was performing at the PNE.  People who were in some sort of institutional setting were invited to attend on a different day than the rest of the population.  The idea of inclusion was never considered in the 60s.

We have come a long way since then, thank goodness, but it’s still a struggle at times to help the community at large accept people with disabilities.  Many non-profit organizations have done what they could over the years.  It is improving as people in the community are educated.
The more we do in our own communities to help others, the more we will make a difference in our world. 

There is lots of funding available through the BC Gaming Commission to develop new programming for all non-profit organizations.  Make sure your organization utilizes the available funding! Contact  
www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/gaming/grants/

No comments:

Post a Comment