Living With Essential Tremour ging

Living With Essential Tremour
by Susan Gerle

I know this topic doesn't seem to fit into Bucket List Travels but I am writing about it to make people more aware of the syndrome.  Even though a person may be dealing with any type of limiting health issue, that doesn't mean one has to quit traveling or doing what is on their bucket list.

I forget I have Essential Tremour but every once in awhile someone will mention it.  This happened the other day when I was out grocery shopping.  A man giving out food samples, who also had the gift of the gab, mentioned it to me out of the blue.

“You know, my brother has Essential Tremour too.  I don’t know why they call it essential.  It certainly doesn't seem like something that should be essential.”  Gift of the gab yes, but certainly not much tact!  Obviously my Essential Tremour was becoming more pronounced and people were noticing it because my head was nodding all by itself!
I came home and immediately did some more research on the syndrome, which I hadn't done for years.  It is not life-threatening but often keeps people isolated because of the embarrassment associated with the involuntary body movements. (I also deal with psoriasis but have chosen not to let the outbeaks affect my public appearances!)  

Essential Tremour can affect different parts of the body, is often genetic, and is possibly connected with hyperthyroidism.  I fit into the categories. It may also get worse in stressful situations and with aging.  The actor, Katherine Hepburn, was affected greatly in her 70s but she didn't allow it to stop her acting career.   

The movement I manifest right now is head nodding.  I wasn't aware I even did it until taking a computer course in 2005.  One of my classmates asked me a question and I supposedly nodded my head which she took as an answer.  Later in the same class she called me on my answer.  I didn't know what she was referring to until she explained what she observed.  I asked one of my siblings shortly after about the movements and she confirmed I had been doing the head nodding for a number of years.  That was a shock! 

I also found out that it was more prevalent when writing, which explained why it was quite noticeable when at the computer.  Being that I spend a great deal of time writing, it’s definitely going to be noticeable. 

So, it’s something I have to live with but there are things I can do to keep the Essential Tremour somewhat in check as I age.  Meditation, exercise, massage, and the occasional brandy will help.  Cutting back on caffeine and other stimulants is also good.  I certainly won’t let it stop me from writing or traveling or teaching or dancing.  Hopefully I will be lucky enough to keep doing everything I love for many years to come! 

No comments:

Post a Comment